Quaint Countryside (The area until 1942)

Scofton was first mentioned in the Doomsday book of 1086 as Scotebi, in Bassetlaw Hundred.  The land was part of the King’s manor of Mansfield.

During the 18th century the area around Scofton was used for sheep and cows.
 
On 23rd July 1797 a tornado ripped through the Scofton Estate ripping up an avenue of Spruce furs owned by the Sutton family. The tornado tracted north east from Worksop damaging many trees along its route following a thunderstorm according to Kirby's Wonderful and Scientific Museum: Volume 2.

Prior to the airfield the land had been woodland known as Rough Brake, Scofton Wood and Birch Holt. 

During the 19th century the area was parkland used by Osberton Hall and used as prime land for foxhunting by the Foljambe family.